Packaging the SAMSON Element you want to share to the SAMSON community
This tutorial applies for SAMSON version 0.7.0 and higher. For an older version, please, check SAMSON School 2017: Introduction and installation of the SAMSON SDK. You can also check the documentation on the SAMSON Element Generator.
SAMSON SDK provides the SAMSON SDK Element packager that wraps your SAMSON Elements into containers that are easy to upload and share on SAMSON Connect.
After adding it, launch SAMSON. If it was already launched, please, re-launch it so that the newly added Element can be downloaded by SAMSON and installed for you.
In the SAMSON menu, go to App → Developer → Package my element or click on the icon of the SAMSON SDK Element packager App in the App toolbar.
Click on Find my developed elements and the Element Packager will find the elements you developed and installed in SAMSON on your computer.
On the left, in the Valid tab you will find a list of valid Elements which can be packaged, in the Error tab – a list of Elements for which the packaging cannot be done for some reason (check the information on the Element listed there). In the Valid tab, click on an Element you want to pack and it will show a brief summary of this element’s information; you may choose several Elements to pack (they will be packaged each in a corresponding folder).
On the right, in the Settings tab you may set a destination folder for the packaged Elements.
Click on Pack to pack the chosen Elements. You will find their list in the Selection tab on the right. In the information box, you will find the path where the Elements have been packaged.
Below you can see the hierarchy generated. Some template pictures useful for the publication have been generated as well just to give an idea about the preferable size for pictures.
The packaged Element which can be uploaded on SAMSON Connect is saved in this folder in SAMSON_0.7.0/YourOS/0.7.0/ with the Element’s UUID as its name.
Uploading your SAMSON Element to SAMSON Connect
Go to samson-connect.net
- Go to My SAMSON → My Factory
- Click on New Element
- Choose your packaged Element file
- If the file is correct you should see some information about your Element. Verify the informations before continuing.
- At this step, upload the images that describe your Element, then click on Continue.
- Now you should see your Element in My Factory. At this step, the Element is not yet published, it is in draft mode.
- To finish the submission process, click on Edit then fill the description with a proper description (e.g., what your Element does) and fill the Element public name with the name you want your Element to be known as. You can also set the access policy for your Element to one of the following: public (visible by everybody), hidden (visible to those who know the URL), shared (visible to users you specify), private (visible only by you). You can also specify for your Element to be accessible by academics users only.
- Note that if you want to add a new version of your Element or a version for another platform, you can add it by clicking on Add new version. If you want your Element to be updated automatically for users the next time they launch SAMSON, you should increase the Element version in the code.
- Click on submit, SAMSON Connect administators will receive an email to approve your submition.
- Once your Element is approved, it will change its status to published instead of draft. Depending on the access policy you specified, SAMSON Connect users can use it now on the platforms your Element is compatible with.